Lean and Creamy (Non Dairy) Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff was a staple in my home as a kid. Remember that creamy sauce that dripped over egg noodles or seeped into rice.
With a goal of eating mostly whole, non processed, anti inflammatory foods, I thought this meal was out of the question. . . But no. The cream,, soy, and high sodium can be replaced with healthy fats and whole foods.
True, this recipe is a little longer and more involved than the one with "cream of something" soup. However, your body with thank you for taking the time to fuel it with foods than heal instead of harm.
1 tbs Coconut Oil
1 lb Lean Beef Stew Meat
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tbs Coconut Aminos
1 tbs Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 cups Bone Broth
1 tbs Arrowroot Powder
1/4 cup Coconut Milk
1 lb Mushrooms, sliced
1. Melt to coconut oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add the beef and spices, cooking until beef is brown on all sides for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, then stir in coconut aminos, mustard, and bone broth.
4. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until the beef is tender.
5. Remove a cupful of liquid and mix well with arrowroot powder until thick and combined. Add back to broth and mix well.
6. Add coconut milk and mushrooms, increasing heat to medium and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture is thickened.
4. Add any additional salt or pepper to taste. Serve over rice, pasta, potatoes, or vegetables.
*I kept this meal low carb by serving with riced cauliflower and green beans.
**Dairy Free ** Gluten Free **Bone Broth Recipe