Do you prefer hard shell or soft shell tacos? Is a taco still a taco without a taco shell?
This zucchini taco boat is a great way to get amazing Mexican flavors without the corn or flour tortilla. It even has an added serving of vegetables and is very low in carb. This recipe is a great addition to a gluten free, keto, or even paleo (minus the cheese) lifestyle.
- 1 lb Ground Beef or Turkey
- 4 Zucchini, smaller size cut lengthwise
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup Bell Pepper, minced
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 4 oz can Tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Scallions, chopped
- Optional Additions
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Using a small spoon, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving about 1/4 inch thick "shell". Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or cooking spray. Cook in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in olive oil in skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add ground meat and cook until browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce and spices. Cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Once you remove zucchini from the oven, pat dry. Then fill each half with taco filling.
- Return to oven and cook an additional 20 minutes. If using cheese, add for the last few minutes so it has time to melt.
- Top with scallions before serving, alongside optional additions of salsa and avocado.