When basil is fresh in the garden, I love a Caprese Salad. I’ve upped the game by adding seared scallops to the mix and the flavors combine beautifully.
This could be a side dish, first course, or a light main course. I think it would look great on a large platter for a summer dinner party appetizer. I omitted the mozzarella on my plate to make it dairy free.
- 1 tbs Avocado Oil
- 1 lb Sea Scallops
- 4 cups Bib or butter lettuce, chopped
- 6 ounces Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbs Olive or Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Swerve Sweetener
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tbs oil and tomatoes in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops cooking 2 minutes each side or until scallops are opaque and tomatoes start to pop.
- Prepare plates by dividing lettuce onto 4 plates, top with sliced mozzarella and basil leaves.
- Prepare the dressing by combining vinegar, oil, sweetener, and garlic in a small saucepan until sweetener dissolves.
- Add scallops and tomatoes on top of basil, then pour dressing over the salad.