Spring colds have slowed us down this past week. Maybe allergies or a virus, but either way we are loading up on the powerful antioxidant Vitamin C to help us power through.
This easy (but oh so pretty) salad packs a cold-fighting punch with grapefruit and spinach. The walnuts add a dose of omega 3 fatty acids and the citrus salad dressing gives a light spring touch.
Enjoy this Grapefruit and Feta Salad as a side dish or add some chicken for a full well-balanced meal.*
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 cups Bibb Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup Walnut pieces
- 1 Grapefruit, sectioned
- 2 ounces Feta, cut in chunks and super cold**
- Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 tbs Shallot, minced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 3 tbs Lemon or Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Swerve sweetener (or a few drops of liquid stevia)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Place grapefruit sections and feta chunks on a baking sheet and sit under the broiler for about 5 minutes until they start to brown. Watch carefully, remove from oven, then set aside.
- Combine ingredients for dressing in a mason jar and shake vigorously.
- Combine spinach and lettuce in a serving bowl. Top with avocado and nuts, then grapefruit and feta.
- When ready to serve, pour a few tablespoons of dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
*I served this with warm rotisserie chicken and also warmed the dressing before pouring over the entire salad. The flavors were bright and went great together!
**In order for the feta cheese to brown instead of melt under the broiler it needs to be very cold. I put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes before cooking.