While other holiday desserts are rich and decadent, I believe Easter calls for light, delicate, pretty desserts. These Lemon Madeleines fit the criteria while being gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and paleo friendly. And if you don't mind the sugar, you could add a dusting of confectioners sugar to up the fancy factor.
If you don't have a madeleine pan you could make these in a mini muffin tin or other molds; however, the baking time will vary.
- 1/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot Starch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/ tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tbs Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease madeleine pan with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl whisk together coconut flour, arrowroot starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Crack the eggs separating the whites from the yolks. With a mixer whip the egg whites until light and fluffy then set aside.
- Beat the yolks, sweetener, vanilla, coconut milk, coconut oil, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Scoop the batter into the madeleine molds and then bake for 10-15 minutes (a toothpick should come out clean).
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before moving them from the pan to a cooling rack.