The Department of Health and Human Services says that our children need at least one hour of physical activity each day. It's hard to believe, but many children aren't doing this for their bodies on a regular basis.
The lack of movement - in addition to other lifestyle and nutrition choices - results in the increase in childhood obesity, whole families being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and higher healthcare costs in our country than ever before.
As a physical therapist, I have to add that making a commitment to be physically active is one of the best ways families can prevent multiple illnesses and injuries.
So, be your childrens "exercise buddy". Plan activities that involve movement and get your hearts pumping. Even set some goals together to work toward this summer.
Need some ideas?
Here some ways to help your family stay active and incorporate physical activities into their daily lives:
- Plan weekend activities around a physical activity such as mini golf, or bowling if you need to be inside.
- Organize activities with neighbors such as a softball or kickball game - it was kick the can in my neighborhood as a kid.
- Design a backyard obstacle course and add a little competition to the fun.
- Plan a daily walk or bike ride - when our kids were younger they loved "pajama walks" in the wagon after dinner.
- Exercise during TV commercials using a short 2 minute routine of pushups, planks, and jumping jacks.
- Park further from the store instead of looking for the closest spot.
- Do yard work together such as gardening, weeding, or lawn mowing?
- Make "active toys" such as kites, jump ropes, and hula hoops easily accessible - and join in the fun along with your kids.
- Participate together in a charity walk or run to get moving and give back.
- Clear some space, put on some music and take a dance break!
The biggest tip I can give you is to make a plan. Make family time and physical activity a priority instead of just "squeezing it in". For me, this means I actually have to write some of these activities onto our calendar.
Ready to get (or keep) your family moving?
I guarantee you ALL will be healthier and happier for it.
If aches and pain (or an old injury that rears its ugly head) keep you from enjoying activities such as these with your children or grandchildren take just 2 minutes and head over to our website.
Click on the video and find out how we help people just like you move better and feel better every day. Follow the link below or visit us at www.peakpotentialpt.com.